Cancer Stinks!

On October 5, 2011, I went into the McKay Dee surgical center in Ogden to have my tonsils removed. Instead, the doctors found a cancerous tumor growing behind my tonsils. It's called "Nasopharyngeal Rhabdomyosarcoma" and I'm told it's curable about 80% of the time for someone like me. It's going to be a long road, but I think it's going to be 100%.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chemo Cancelled Today

Dr. Spraker cancelled Jeremy's chemo today. His ANC (absolute neutrophil count, ability to fight infection) is  low. Jeremy's ANC is 600. The ANC needs to be at 750 for chemo treatments. He will have blood drawn again on Thursday and if his ANC is high enough, he will do chemo on Friday. For now we have to keep him home and be extra careful from exposure to germs. I had a feeling that his numbers had dropped. He has been tired and is complaining that his arm hurts. When the ANC count is low, it can cause tiredness and muscle pain.

Even though he was tired he still wanted to play with friends yesterday. When I told him that he could not play, he was sad and said, "but my tumor is small, I can play with my friends now". I had to explain to him that although his tumor is small, he is still sick and vulnerable while he finishes chemotherapy. His ANC has to be at least a 1000 to be able to play with friends (a normal ANC is 3,000-5,000). It is going to be a challenge this summer on the days that Jeremy will not be able to play with friends. It is hard for him to see the kids outside playing and not be able to join them.

Although we are still fighting the daily battle, we have much to be thankful for! We are so thankful to know that the radiation and chemotherapy are working! We have successful results! We still need to see this through, three more months of chemo, but the positive results have eased our minds. We are thankful for the excellent medical treatment that Jeremy has received.

My heart is full of gratitude for a loving Heavenly Father who hears our prayers, knows our needs, and strengthens us to endure our trials. I am thankful for our Savior Jesus Christ, "He lives to grant me rich supply. He lives to guide me with his eye. He lives to comfort me when faint. He lives to hear my souls complaint. He lives to silence all my fears. He lives to wipe away my tears. He lives to calm my troubled heart. He lives all blessings to impart." (Hymn #136, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, second verse)

No comments:

Post a Comment