For a quick update: We are finally home! Jeremy had a fever and we had to stay longer at the hospital. He is doing well at home, starting to eat a little (he has not ate anything for three days). After radiation this morning Jeremy said "Mom, can I have some banana bread?" So we made banana bread together when we got home. While it was baking Jeremy said "Mmmm, it smells so good". We are so glad it is Friday! We have a two day break from radiation and no chemo until Tuesday! Thanks for all your prayers, love, and support!
Long update: (mostly for journaling, venting, and for those who may be interested!) Jeremy had his first radiation treatment last Tuesday at 7:15 am. He was then admitted at Primary's for his VAC chemo treatment. This time it was a little harder for Jeremy. He was more nauseous and did get sick. We have to be especially careful with one of his chemo medicines, Cytoxan. For 48 hours after the Jeremy receives Cytoxan, we have to take him to the bathroom every two hours (day and night) so that it does not burn his bladder. He has an IV of fluids to help "flush" the chemo out of his system. If urine or vomit gets on his clothes, our clothes, or bedding we have to wash them in the washing machine on the hot cycle twice. We also wear gloves to protect our skin and we are careful to keep his skin clean. He also receives a medicine (mesna) to help with the bladder irritation that this chemo drug causes. It amazes me that this chemo medicine is so strong that it can irritate and burn the skin and bladder and yet it is being injected into Jeremy's veins. Of course all three chemo medications cause nausea. Zofran (medicine) helps with the nausea.
He also ran a fever of 39 C (102.2 F). His fever made his pulse rate really high and blood pressure lower than normal. We had to stay an extra night and day.They are not sure if the fever was a side effect from his chemo treatment or a virus. They did a blood culture and it was negative, so it was not a bacterial infection. They were going to keep us Thursday night as well, to be extra cautious, but when Jeremy heard this tears rolled down his cheeks and he said in a little quiet whimper "I want to go home." They took compassion upon him and said they would reevaluate later that day, and if he had no fever, we would be able to go home that evening. Our families were praying with us that Jeremy would have no fever. Our prayers were answered and we were able to go home. Jeremy's whole countenance changed when we walked in the door. He was so happy to be home! We ate dinner together as a family and then Mike and I went to James's piano recital. Jake stayed with Jeremy. The recital was close by (at the library) and we had our cell phones (yes, I worry when I leave him!). Jake did a great job playing games with Jeremy and watching him. We have learned that as consuming as cancer can be.....life still continues. We really have to work as a family to make things happen.
When I am in the hospital I miss hearing James practice the piano. Hear is a little sample from his recital. I love this song "If You Believe" composed by Jim Brickman. The title reminds me of a scripture, Mark 5:36 "Be not afraid, only believe".
Home is the best place to be!! I hope that you are all able to enjoy the break!!
ReplyDeleteJames' piano playing amazes me, He is so talented in so many different areas!
Wow! I agree with Jana! James is a very talented kid!! I agree with you about that medicine...crazy that its so bad for everyone on the outside but it can be put in his body! Shows how strong the cancer is and needs strong meds to kill it. I am so happy you guys got to go home! Bless Jeremy's little heart! He is such a sweet child and I pray for him every night! Home IS the BEST place to be!!
ReplyDelete