Cancer Stinks!

On October 5, 2011, I went into the McKay Dee surgical center in Ogden to have my tonsils removed. Instead, the doctors found a cancerous tumor growing behind my tonsils. It's called "Nasopharyngeal Rhabdomyosarcoma" and I'm told it's curable about 80% of the time for someone like me. It's going to be a long road, but I think it's going to be 100%.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Gratitude!

This is Jeremy's 9th week of chemo and today marked his 24th session of radiation (only 4 sessions left!). Yesterday Jeremy had a blood transfusion to increase his red blood cells. He has been so pale and tired, this helped him have a little more energy. The last couple of times after radiation, he has been too tired to walk to the car (we use the valet parking and they bring our car to the front entrance) and I have had to carry him. This morning he was able to walk to the entrance. We are also increasing his tube feedings. We started using the pump and will do some continuous feeds. I was using a syringe of formula in his tube, but this is not enough. We need to get his weight up. Jeremy was hesitant to use the pump another "new thing" to get use to. It has taken much patience and persuasion to convince him that this is good for him and will help him feel better. He is not convinced, but is letting us "try" the pump. He does not like being hooked up to a pole. We can not run it at night because he has to fast each night for the anesthesia at radiation. Also, Jeremy is not too happy to do it at night time because he said it will keep him awake. I would like to try it after radiation and see which way will work best for him. As I am trying to persuade with love and patience with each new challenge, the term "long suffering" comes to mind! Sometimes it is exhausting trying to convince or persuade your children to do what is good for them, whether it be physical or spiritual.

Yesterday at chemo I met a mother who has had three children with cancer. Her three year old had the same cancer as Jeremy and died eleven years ago. Cancer treatment has improved much since then, and her daughter's cancer was in her back and moved into her kidneys. Her son (12-13 years old) has cancer in his leg and his leg has been amputated to the knee. His first round of chemo did not work and he is on a study chemo therapy right now. Her now 17 year old daughter had breast cancer at age 12 with a partial mastectomy. She is now in the process of having another mastectomy, the doctors feel her risk is high and it would be better to do a full mastectomy. Meeting this courageous woman with such challenges, put my challenges in proper perspective. I have a feeling that I did not meet her by accident. Jeremy fell asleep during his transfusion and I pulled out the December Ensign. I opened it up to the First Presidency's Message and to my surprise it was not about Christmas but the message was, "The Choice To Be Grateful". I feel very humbled and am grateful for my lesson on gratitude yesterday. I have been very blessed and have much to be thankful for, especially for my testimony. I believe in a loving Heavenly Father who watches over his children and hears and answers their prayers and through the Holy Ghost we can receive comfort and guidance in dealing with our trials. I am Thankful for Jesus Christ and through His Atonement and Resurrection, we can find healing both spiritually and physically and have the opportunity to live with our families for the eternities. I love my family! I am also thankful for the love and support that we have received from family and friends, we have been very blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That is amazingly heartbreaking. Courageous indeed. Gaining perspective is always a blessing. I'm grateful for the perspective you shared in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are very strong and you are being a wonderful mom to Jeremy during this trial. How sad that other mom had to face so much heartache.

    ReplyDelete