Jeremy does have a low grade fever, but they let us come home. We are wondering if it is a reaction to the chemotherapy. He also had a fever during his last VAC chemo. If his fever spikes or if he still has it in the morning we will need to call the hospital and will probably have to go back. He did receive a 24 hour antibiotic in his port (IV line) and they did blood cultures, as precautionary. He has been very nauseous and has no appetite. He came home and wanted to go straight to bed. He was very happy to come home, even if he is tired and not feeling his best.
Dr. Poppe wants Jeremy to have radiation on Friday morning. The radiation clinic at the Huntsman is closed for Thanksgiving on Thursday and Friday (they are closed every Saturday and Sunday). Dr. Poppe feels that Jeremy can not miss four days in a row of radiation and since he missed two days for his surgery he felt it necessary to call his staff in on Friday, just for Jeremy. I asked Dr. Poppe if he felt this was necessary and he said that he wouldn't call his staff in on a holiday weekend if he didn't. I feel sorry for his staff having to come in, but feel gratitude for the dedication and excellent care Jeremy is receiving.
Monday night I was reading to Jeremy at bedtime. We were reading his Bible, picture book. Jeremy asked me about the story of Jesus healing the blind man. I told him that story was not in this book. Jeremy said "What if I was blind?" I said, "Well, you would have to remember what everything looks like, like the color blue. You would also use your hands to touch and feel what things are, your hands would be your eyes." I asked him "Are you worried about being blind?" Jeremy nodded his head yes. I said, "Well, the doctors are not worried. They feel that as your tumor shrinks, it will help your eye (his one eye dilates on and off because the tumor is touching his optic nerve). I guess it could happen, but the doctors do not think that it will. If you did loose your sight, I would still love you and it would be o.k.". Jeremy smiled. I said, "If I lost my sight would you still love me?" He nodded yes and smiled. I did not realize that Jeremy was worrying about this. I feel that he may have other questions and concerns, and he is trying to process what is happening to him.
What an amazing sweet boy you have. I hope that you get to stay home, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
ReplyDelete